Saturday, June 25, 2005

Days of Longshanks

Trabye LongshanksAsk almost anyone born post-aquarius era, chances are, there was a phase in their lives where long hair was the order of the day. Me? No exception.

I started to keep my hair long during my final year working as an A&R executive at EMI Malaysia. I had a slow start since I was so used to the shirt and tie combi having studied at UUM (alumnus will know what I mean). Working in the music business means naturally you can look hip if you want to... no need to guess what transpired next.

Guys with long hair has its perks: you will definitely turn heads in most places. I remember seeing eyes transfixed on me while walking almost anywhere... I even had someone mistaken me for Awie, even! And there was this one time, I went to see The Corrs when they played Bukit Jalil, I had a one-person gap around me while I headbanged in the front row at stage left, much to the amusement of Sharon Corr. Her expression was of disbelief for someone would actually headbang to 'The Right Time'.

Zaman 'Jahiliah'Other than securing personal space at concerts, long hair helped me a lot during my performing days. As I am not much of a showman, long hair takes the attention away from my being stationary. Also, I didn't have to worry about wardrobe: my hair is an accessory for all occassions.

However, the downside of having long hair: maintenance! I had my hair for two years at full length, where it hardly grows any more. And during that period I had to spend a fortune on shampoos, conditioners and trips to various salons (yes, I like salons... on mow ho sek, geh....!). It was then that I realized why some of my girlfriends cut their hair short or just don a hijjab: lower maintenance! It was by this time, I felt I was tired of upkeeping my shanks and missed the days where I used a comb, not a brush. Having gotten the support from Waheeda, I cut my locks at the local mamak barber.

Back to normal...Aney: "Betul mau potong ka?"
Trabye: "Betuuul... potong habis!"
Aney: "Baaaanyak sayang..."

I did it, I felt good. Even the makcik waiting for her son's turn at the barber shop approved. Well, it was good while it lasted. Who knows, maybe the days of longshanks will rear its head in the near future, we'll have to see what she thinks...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home